Qwest Screeners dropping like Flies

This is the general forum, meaning, that anything can be talked about here. If there is another forum specific to something, please put it there. Also, technical support is not handled through here so don't ask tech support about Maddian things. Tech support on other things can be fine if there is not already a forum for it.
Forum rules
Please do not go off topic in this forum! Respect the people who start topics by staying on topic as best as you can. if you go off topic, please report your post so that a moderator can move it as quick as possible. Also, while this is a general disscusion forum, it is still discussion. Please refrain from quick replies (1-8 word responses). That is what the totally random subforum is for, thank you!

Qwest Screeners dropping like Flies

Postby Mair » Wed Sep 05, 2007 14:59:00

If our co-workers aren't getting fired, they're quitting. (Obviously not all of us). It seems like everytime I turn around someone is out the door. 2 people got fired in the last 2 weeks and another one will be quitting next week. This place is driving us all literally insane. I think the majority of the employees that work here are in therapy (myself not included although that's not to say I don't need it :-? )
We are getting treated like we aren't human and we are to do this this and this and if we don't do it EXACTLY right then we are condemned. If we don't respond to the irate customer who is screaming like some kind of animal and being 100% uncooperative exactly right then shame on us.
So why do we all stay employed here? After all, there are other places to work. Because people grow accustomed to the $$$ they earn here and think they can't live without the pay. I am one who has different reasons for staying put, but I have my end date planned (Sept 13th 2009). There is a light at the end of my tunnel. I feel bad for those who can't see their light yet.
Mair
Smut Killer

Re: Qwest Screeners dropping like Flies

Postby madd74 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 17:33:37

For me, a lot of any job or situation is the observation of the situation. I believe this to be true of many things. I do not hate my job, because as much as some aspects can suck, there are a lot of good things. To me, there is a logical balance, that most (not all) jobs that I take will have good and bad things to it. The question, is does everything balance.

Qwest pays me insane, and great pay is not the only factor that could keep a job. However, they also have great benefits (even though no where close as when I started).

My job is not overwelming. When I leave the building, my job is done. I do not have to worry about doing anything additional. The hours really fit what I want in my life right now.

I have different job functions. I do not do the same exact thing every day, even though some times I go through a large period of the same thing. Any job I have had in the past, I pretty much well did the same thing. I am human, and humans do not want the same thing over again. If we did, we would have only one food, one form of entertainment, and all the clothes and everything else in the world would all be the same thing. However, that type of repeated business is not what humans like.

I get to spend an insane amount of time in the morning with my son. While I do not get to spend a lot of time with my girlfriend, that is something that is going to be unavoidable if I want my sont o spend as much time with mom and dad as possible, and to me, that is a priority, as this is important to my son and his development. Now, down the road this is going to change, as he will be going to school, and I will want my hours changed to that, however, that is far enough down the road for me not to worry about right now.

The people I am around I either really enjoy or can tolerate. Mair is a close friend, and is great to be around. Before her was Monica, and she was a blast to be by. Before that, I had Kraber next to me, and that in itself was a danger as I did not seem to get as much work done, hEhEhE!! Bill is rather fun to currently be next to also. There are a few people who I do not particularly care for, however, those people go about their business as I go about mine.

I get to troubleshoot. Troubleshooting is a passion of mine. I enjoy examining a problem and working to find a solution for it.

As noted, there are some down sides, as there would be with many jobs. Some of the customers I talk to push the limit of my ability to treat them as I would want to be treated. There are choice phrases I would like to say, however, The Company does not allow that type of behavior, so I am stuck putting up with something I would otherwise not.

Lots of hours... OT, and as noted, there is a lot of it. This puts less time for me to be home, being in the existance of my child. This also means that some times things get skipped (eating, shower). I do not always get things done I would like.

Unpredictable schedule. This is a big one for me (no commented required from Jen, we already know :p). I do not really have the ability to plan out my life. It is ironic, as I otherwise am not a planner, go figure it means so much to me.

Stats. While stats can be a fine thing to keep a company going, the way they work for the job in where I am, does not work. When I worked at Wal-Madd, I could talk to a customer for 45 minutes (and a few times I did). I can go over any questions, and all information. I could really give a personal service that I otherwise enjoy doing. At Qwest, I have so much time, and only so much time to be available to my customers. With all the calls I get, it is not possible for me to treat every single customer in the same exact way as I would like to be treated, for I would not have the time to do so in the time The Company requires. To me, that is not customer service. This is another big issue for me.

So, there are more things on the plus and minus side, however, the point of this is not to be a book, even though it is turning into one. So many people get so worked up about so many things. People could spend so much of that time compaining and being miserable, and work to attempt to enjoy this time that we have on Earth, because why spend most of one's life complaining and being miserable? If a job is that bad, then quit and find another one.

So we lose yet another on the 13th, wow, that is hardly any time away. Do not forget to stay on the forums!
I will have something here... at some point...
madd74
Master of Maddness

Xbox Live: madd74
wii: 3171-6085-4693-8857
Playstation ID: madd74

Postby Mair » Wed Sep 05, 2007 18:02:22

Ok...you lose someone on the 13th in 2009. That's still 2 years away. Do not be confused any longer.
Ok...so I can't touch everything you said, but it takes a VERY special human to be able to tolerate the politics of this place and MANY other things. My MAIN (but not only) problem is listening to the BS that management spouts out to us that this is going to be done and we care about you and blah blah blah. Just to find out in the very near future that it was all a waste of time for me to listen to them because none of it is true.

I actually will be finding a new job in a matter of 2 years and 8 days, but for now...I must endure. I ask God daily for Grace to help me through another day. Yesterday I spent the morning in tears before coming in here. This morning...I haven't cried yet. I'm not enjoying my time here, but I am not wishing someone would stab me to death either.

I actually can tolerate VERY FEW people I sit by. Just yesterday I told Dave while I was crying that i wasn't even in the mood for Madd and his vulgarity. But ironically, after he got here (Madd) he lifted my spirits (because apparently he wasn't practicing vulgarity...which seems strange to me. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Yes I'm sure that's it.)

Anyways....
Mair
Smut Killer

Postby madd74 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 20:31:18

Well, the thing is, that to say how our management is BS would be saying that every other is great, and many (not all) management is BS. When I worked at Wal-Mart, it was bad there, and when I worked for Jiffy Lube it was not much better, in fact worse. So if you get another job, unless self employed or the like, I would not expect the best out of management.
I will have something here... at some point...
madd74
Master of Maddness

Xbox Live: madd74
wii: 3171-6085-4693-8857
Playstation ID: madd74

Postby Mair » Wed Sep 05, 2007 21:17:47

True. I plan to work for myself when I get out of here.
Unless I get bored (which I won't) and decided to go work at hy-vee. Now, judging from my experiences there I don't guess the management cracks down too much on their employees since one of their employees is an absolute jack nut and another one always looks like he forgot to get out of bed before going to work. They're just allowed to be complete neandrothols.
Mair
Smut Killer

Return to Outer Unbound