i just have to say it out loud

For all that is, and ever will be Pink Floyd. One of my top two loves in existance is Pink Floyd, thus they get a special place in my electronic world. Please note that other music can be chatted about here, but only in relation to Pink Floyd.

i just have to say it out loud

Postby monkeybone » Tue Oct 30, 2007 0:45:38

I won't deny that every Floyd fan must have Dark Side of The Moon and The Wall and Wish You Were Here. Those are requisites - they simply must be had and heard hundred of times over and over and over.

I also understand the Waters/Gilmour struggle we all have as fans. None of their greatest works could have been done without each other. I doubt that there was ever a greater collaboration.

ok, that said ..........

I will stand by Momentary Lapse of Reason as the most visceral, sexual - yes, sexual- moving work done by the Floyd. One Slip. Yet Another Movie. On the Turning Away. It has always moved me to the core like no other. I believe it's the best work Gilmour has produced. I am a Gilmour girl through and through because of this piece of work.
:monkey:
monkeybone
Os de Singe

Re: i just have to say it out loud

Postby madd74 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 13:44:39

I bet you would like "On an Island"

MLoR is an excellent album, you forgot to mention The Dogs of War, another great one. One Slip is my favorite from this album. Sorrow I really like, and reminds me a little of Division Bell.

Speaking of albums of Floydian nature, Atom Heart Mother is a must for anyone proving to the world they are of Floydian nature. The title track is by far my favorite instrumental ever done. People could complain that it is too long (23:42), however think to the days of classical music. It takes about an entire season to listen to the Four Seasons. Besides, AHM is similar to a lot of things like the old school songs, in that it is really 6 parts, all done by a different band member (including some outside help). I tell you, it is a darn shame that The Floyd did not allow Kubrick to add this to Clockwork Orange.
I will have something here... at some point...
madd74
Master of Maddness

Xbox Live: madd74
wii: 3171-6085-4693-8857
Playstation ID: madd74

Postby ditzwill » Tue Oct 30, 2007 14:39:59

There is no struggle for me in regard to my favorite era or 'member make-up' of Floyd. I have two, maybe three, songs that I actually enjoy from when Barrett was a member of the band. I do enjoy the albums with the make-up being Rogers, Gilmore, Wright, and Mason. However, I'm partial to the Gilmore, Wright, and Mason make-up. Division Bell is my favorite Floyd album. I love Momentary Lapse of Reason as well. Atom Hearth Mother is too 'Barretty' to me and I don't enjoy it. I can appreciate the musicality and talent that went in to it, but it just isn't enjoyable. Same with most of the stuff on Ummagumma.

Sorry for any names I spelled wrong. :)
Everyone should be a non-conformist.
:eating:
ditzwill
Keyboard Smasher

Postby madd74 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 17:25:37

I have listened to much Barret, and do not actually hear Barret in AHM itself. I admit, the 16 min Breakfast song does not really tickle my fancy, and I can hear what appears to be a bit of Barret inspiredness in that.
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby monkeybone » Tue Oct 30, 2007 22:24:07

madd74 wrote:I bet you would like "On an Island"

MLoR is an excellent album, you forgot to mention The Dogs of War, another great one. One Slip is my favorite from this album. Sorrow I really like, and reminds me a little of Division Bell.

Speaking of albums of Floydian nature, Atom Heart Mother is a must for anyone proving to the world they are of Floydian nature. The title track is by far my favorite instrumental ever done. People could complain that it is too long (23:42), however think to the days of classical music. It takes about an entire season to listen to the Four Seasons. Besides, AHM is similar to a lot of things like the old school songs, in that it is really 6 parts, all done by a different band member (including some outside help). I tell you, it is a darn shame that The Floyd did not allow Kubrick to add this to Clockwork Orange.

well, i didn't forget to mention a song or two from Momentary Lapse - i just saw that i didn't need to list *every* song. i had to stop at some point, eh?

i wonder that you mention 'on an island'. you don't remember (i'm guessing), but i did get a gilmour solo cd while still working at qwest and talked to you about it. the cd was from 1984ish? anyway, it gave me hives. i hated it!
i did see gilmour on some late night show perform something from 'on an island' and was so sad. i just didn't like it. i really didn't want to see him in that manner - on an american talk-show performing what i thought was sub-par music given his genius. i didn't buy the cd - and frankly am thinking i shouldn't because it would be more dissapointment. am i wrong?

i have now put Meddle, Atom Heart Mother and Animals back into regular rotation because of this discussion. thank you for reminding me.

as far as the long cut from AHM, i'll just say this: i have sung classical music for years and years and am definately appreciative of that long track. i LOVE that they used human voices as instruments (as they are meant to be)

i have a vivid memory of the first time i listened to The Wall all the way through, with concentration. i found that that work was as well constructed as any symphony ever writtern. it's structure is concrete.

i do wonder about clockwork orange though. my initial reaction is that it's best left to Beethoven et al.
monkeybone
Os de Singe

Postby monkeybone » Tue Oct 30, 2007 22:32:07

ditzwill wrote:There is no struggle for me in regard to my favorite era or 'member make-up' of Floyd. I have two, maybe three, songs that I actually enjoy from when Barrett was a member of the band. I do enjoy the albums with the make-up being Rogers, Gilmore, Wright, and Mason. However, I'm partial to the Gilmore, Wright, and Mason make-up. Division Bell is my favorite Floyd album. I love Momentary Lapse of Reason as well. Atom Hearth Mother is too 'Barretty' to me and I don't enjoy it. I can appreciate the musicality and talent that went in to it, but it just isn't enjoyable. Same with most of the stuff on Ummagumma.

Sorry for any names I spelled wrong. :)

i agree with you about Barrett. i'm not a fan at all. and i have not so secret thanks that he left the band when he did. i can't imagine that the genius that followed could ever have been done if he were still an active member.

AHM is as early as i can get in the floyd catalog. it's just on the edge - with gilmour's guitar flirting and just hinting what's to come. anything earlier is just not good to my ears. ummagumma i just can't deal with.
monkeybone
Os de Singe

Postby ditzwill » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:11:54

madd74 wrote:I have listened to much Barret, and do not actually hear Barret in AHM itself. I admit, the 16 min Breakfast song does not really tickle my fancy, and I can hear what appears to be a bit of Barret inspiredness in that.

Hmmm... you're probably right in that I tagged it wrong. It bounces around too much. My mind is a mess right now, don't know why I'm trying to describe anything. heh
ditzwill
Keyboard Smasher

Postby ditzwill » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:15:14

monkeybone wrote:i agree with you about Barrett. i'm not a fan at all. and i have not so secret thanks that he left the band when he did. i can't imagine that the genius that followed could ever have been done if he were still an active member.

AHM is as early as i can get in the floyd catalog. it's just on the edge - with gilmour's guitar flirting and just hinting what's to come. anything earlier is just not good to my ears. ummagumma i just can't deal with.

I agree with you about Barrett, but I am glad that he was a member at one time because I think they held on to the better musical ideas that he had.
I can't deny that he was pretty inovative.

I've tried to listen to a bunch of Ummagumma. I can hear where I would have loved it at one time, now it's just too...something. I don't want to say pointless because a lot of it seems to be building up to something very important. I like Astronime Domine and Several Species of Small Fury Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict. That's about it.
ditzwill
Keyboard Smasher

Postby monkeybone » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:53:03

oops, i forgot about Astronime Domine which i am also loving.

it's odd to think about mental illness and creativity and such. you are right that his influence was important.

it seems that his life is viewed as tragic and maybe it really wasn't - it just changed courses. he didn't kill himself, he just lived differently.

it's all a mystery to me.
life, that is.

and i'm just rambling.
monkeybone
Os de Singe

Postby madd74 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 16:03:27

monkeybone wrote:well, i didn't forget to mention a song or two from Momentary Lapse - i just saw that i didn't need to list *every* song. i had to stop at some point, eh?

i wonder that you mention 'on an island'. you don't remember (i'm guessing), but i did get a gilmour solo cd while still working at qwest and talked to you about it. the cd was from 1984ish? anyway, it gave me hives. i hated it!
i did see gilmour on some late night show perform something from 'on an island' and was so sad. i just didn't like it. i really didn't want to see him in that manner - on an american talk-show performing what i thought was sub-par music given his genius. i didn't buy the cd - and frankly am thinking i shouldn't because it would be more dissapointment. am i wrong?

i have now put Meddle, Atom Heart Mother and Animals back into regular rotation because of this discussion. thank you for reminding me.

as far as the long cut from AHM, i'll just say this: i have sung classical music for years and years and am definately appreciative of that long track. i LOVE that they used human voices as instruments (as they are meant to be)

i have a vivid memory of the first time i listened to The Wall all the way through, with concentration. i found that that work was as well constructed as any symphony ever writtern. it's structure is concrete.

i do wonder about clockwork orange though. my initial reaction is that it's best left to Beethoven et al.
Yeah, I know what you mean, listing an entire CD is silly, however, I think some of the non radio cut songs get overlooked a lot, especailly with The Floyd. On an Island is actually from 2006, so, I think you ended up with a different CD, or got the CD recent and are thinking of something else... maybe? If you still have the CD, you should look at it, or at least look it up or go online to check a sample to see if it is the same one... On an Island by G is very excellent, and enjoyable. So, I think you should give it a chance, or, let me send it to you (mp3) so that you can check it out. If you like it, support the man and buy it :D

You are very welcome. I cannot think of the last time I listened to Floyd, or anything else that is not video game music. Ironically, I am currently creating my third video game CD masterpiece, and afterwards, think I am going to make a few CD from other music, and add a bunch of things, not just Floyd, to it, and burn it to my 360 Elite since it has all that space, just waiting for music to be put on it.

Aye, AHM is wonderful as instrumentals go (think I mentioned that in many ways by now), and it is crazy how the voices used make reference to "breakfast", which of course plays well with Alan's Psychodelic Breakfast on the end of the CD.

The intro theme to Clockwork is what catches me. I mean, they have the William Tell Oveture, and some other classics in it also, but it was the theme song, the way it starts off, and the excellent way that song goes, that makes me wonder if the director had heard AHM and something something of a similar quality (not that I am calling it similar) to it.
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby madd74 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 16:14:50

monkeybone wrote:i agree with you about Barrett. i'm not a fan at all. and i have not so secret thanks that he left the band when he did. i can't imagine that the genius that followed could ever have been done if he were still an active member.

I am a fan, but I think I said that already also :) I really enjoy the Madcap Laugh, and very much enjoyed the X-Files episode where they had the Barret fan, played some music, and had pictures and posters. I am glad he left the band early, due to my enjoyment of where the band went, and the fact him leaving sparked Wish You Were Here, among other things. I agree, however, that the genius that is Floyd may not have ever been if not for him leaving.

ditzwill wrote:I can't deny that he was pretty inovative.

I've tried to listen to a bunch of Ummagumma. I can hear where I would have loved it at one time, now it's just too...something. I don't want to say pointless because a lot of it seems to be building up to something very important. I like Astronime Domine and Several Species of Small Fury Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict. That's about it.
Very much so. I think it is his innovation that sparked a lot of the more enjoyably obscure things that have come from The Floyd.

I enjoy Ummagumma so insanely much, I most definitely do not listen to it enough. Astronime Domine actually is from Pipers, the Syd CD that you so much do not enjoy :p (joke)
madd74
Master of Maddness

Return to Madd Side of the Moon