HijackThis (G) - "software/security"

"Internet Waste of Time" - For those who like to waste your time on the net, here is the place to find links and such out there.

HijackThis (G) - "software/security"

Postby madd74 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 18:02:27

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/hi ... ckThis.zip

download.com wrote:If persistent spyware is bogging down your computer, you might need HijackThis. The tiny program examines vulnerable or suspect parts of your system, such as browser helper objects and certain types of Registry keys. Pressing the Scan button generates a log of dozens of items, most of which are just customizations. Don't check off an item and hit the Fix Checked button unless you're sure it's malware. Clicking Info on Selected Item tells you why the entry was flagged as suspicious, but not whether it's actually malware. To find that out, search the Web for that item's name or go straight to a forum, such as SpywareInfo or Computer Cops. Saving the log creates a text document you can post to these forums.

The latest version adds powerful tools to the Config window. The process manager and hosts file editor help you excise virulent infections. The unique ADS Spy tool scans for alternate data streams, which some browser hijackers use to hide from spyware removers. The program still installs into whatever directory in which you unzip the file, which can make it hard to locate. HijackThis is a serious tool for any user who needs to root out a serious infestation, but wield it with caution.
madd74
Master of Maddness

Xbox Live: madd74
wii: 3171-6085-4693-8857
Playstation ID: madd74

Re: HijackThis (G) - "software/security"

Postby PiperTheMad » Thu Oct 08, 2009 20:46:25

actually looks pretty useful. I used to use spybot, but it looks like its been purchased by another company and is no longer free :(
I like free software.

I don't think I'm going to check it out yet, but I may if I notice any problems.
(Piper the Friendly)
Specializing in Preschool and Day Care software. Also Find a Daycare or Preschool - Hawaii.
PiperTheMad
Cheese Taster

Re: HijackThis (G) - "software/security"

Postby madd74 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 21:24:03

I use Spybot on some of my older computers. That is too bad they are not free anymore. Now I use Comodo and Avira for firewall and antivirus.
I will have something here... at some point...
madd74
Master of Maddness

Xbox Live: madd74
wii: 3171-6085-4693-8857
Playstation ID: madd74

Return to IWOT