Another topic of discussion...

When the mind comes in contact with in and outside world, interesting things can happen. This forum is for the talk of everything philisophical and psychological. Pyschology and philosophy (PaP) have run my life for a long time, and if ever you want to get Madd's attention, anything of PaP nature will do just that.

Another topic of discussion...

Postby Gretl » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:19:05

Soul mate.

Soul mateS.

So much has been written about the soul mate, the one person you will connect with on so many levels, the one you can share anything with...

The presumption is always that there is only one.

One true love, one true friend, one true soul mate.

I don't believe that. I think there are multiple people in the world who, when you meet them, you know. You know them, beyond any logical possibility. Beyond any time constraints. Maybe beyond time?

Sometimes you fall in love. Sometimes not. Sometimes you simply find that person and treasure that person as an ongoing part of your life. Sometimes you meet, and you part... sometimes within the same 24-hour period. Sometimes... you never meet. Sometimes you're lucky enough to get the opportunity to spend the rest of your life with one of your soul mates... and then you later meet another one and contend with the complications and joys therein.

*smile*

thoughts?
Gretl
Spamster

Postby madd74 » Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:12:51

To every one person there are approximately 10,000 humans on the planet considered "soul mates" by the vauge definition of the word. By this, I mean the fact that they are "right" for each other.

So no, I do not believe in it.
I will have something here... at some point...
madd74
Master of Maddness

Xbox Live: madd74
wii: 3171-6085-4693-8857
Playstation ID: madd74

Postby Gretl » Sat Sep 27, 2003 18:56:38

Hrumph.

I'm not thinking of the vague definition of the word... I'm thinking of the deeper concept, of people whom one meets and immediately there is a connection that transcends reason... and this connection perseveres. Infatuation is one thing, infatuation can imitate the state of being that one feels with a soul mate, however it doesn't last.

Of course there are multiple humans that each person can be "happy" with... I don't believe there are that many people that you end up feeling that trancendental state of being with.
Gretl
Spamster

Postby madd74 » Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:38:28

I *realize* this... the reason I said for the vague definition since the deeper meaning and 10,000 people to every one person do not coinside with each other.

As for what this means, it means that the feeling of a soul mate, that you find someone, and they were just "meant" for you is something that can be pegged to about 10,000 of the few billion out there. Not the best odds in the world, even the lotto has better odds than that.
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby sewcute » Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:11:25

madd74 wrote:So no, I do not believe in it.

you don't believe in what? one "soul mate/true love/etc"?
sewcute
Dreamer of old Ranks

Postby madd74 » Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:18:12

correct... I do not believe in one soulmate

do you know what happens to humans who think like this, find who they believe to be their soulmate, and things go wrong with the relationship? depression may be the least of the mental issues to worry about
madd74
Master of Maddness

just a little girls opinion

Postby sewcute » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:27:58

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this. . .well not A LOT, but I once thought that is the way it was, God made one man for one woman, but all the reading I have done in teh bible of late, I have not seen anything that states He has made one man for one woman. . .

What it does say is that once a man joins a woman thay are one for life. . .which is where I think the term soulmates comes from, because they are now one. . .but I dont think that happens until after the marriage.
sewcute
Dreamer of old Ranks

Re: just a little girls opinion

Postby Gretl » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:25:27

sewcute wrote:but I dont think that happens until after the marriage.

I disagree.

My personal outlook on marriage precludes my believing that... because if two people are soul mates then no ceremony is going to make any difference. God has already destined that these two people will be soul mates.

And on the flip side of the coin, how many friggin' people do you know who are married and absolutely do NOT belong together, who are making each other miserable?

*sigh* I think that too many people get married for the wrong reasons, primary among them they are afraid they will never find one of those soul mates (and will end up alone).
Gretl
Spamster

Postby sewcute » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:41:36

I do not think God necessarily predestines people to be together (hey maybe he does, I am not the one to say) but I think, if two people enter into marriage for the right reasons that they become one.
sewcute
Dreamer of old Ranks

Postby gizmo0681 » Tue Sep 30, 2003 13:47:58

I believe each person has many soulmates some may last a lifetime other may only last for a brief hello. However each of the people we meet in our life has an effect on us in one way or another. I don't feel that just because one is a soulmate that they are here to help. I believe they could possibly be hear to misguide you in new directions in life that may or may not be better for you but no matter what each person is here to do that may be to enter your life for just a split second it can affect the directions of your life for Good or for Bad.. hmmm pondered thoughts... now I go back to work and think more on this...
gizmo0681
Beer Taster

Postby Gretl » Tue Sep 30, 2003 14:20:18

Giz, you truly amaze me.

That is something that just hadn't occurred to me, the concept that soul mates might not do GOOD in every situation...

Wow. Food for thought.

And *smooches* for Gizmo.
Gretl
Spamster

Postby madd74 » Tue Sep 30, 2003 23:02:44

sewcute wrote:I do not think God necessarily predestines people to be together (hey maybe he does, I am not the one to say) but I think, if two people enter into marriage for the right reasons that they become one.

I believe that God brings two people together to meet, in that every human I know to this day or who I have come across I was destined to do so. How things went from the first meeting, I feel God left up to us, and part of my claim to this is that God gave humans free will.
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby madd74 » Tue Sep 30, 2003 23:04:43

gizmo0681 wrote:I believe each person has many soulmates some may last a lifetime other may only last for a brief hello. However each of the people we meet in our life has an effect on us in one way or another. I don't feel that just because one is a soulmate that they are here to help. I believe they could possibly be hear to misguide you in new directions in life that may or may not be better for you but no matter what each person is here to do that may be to enter your life for just a split second it can affect the directions of your life for Good or for Bad.. hmmm pondered thoughts... now I go back to work and think more on this...

That sounds something similar to the butterfly effect of time, in where the effects of everything cast forth the entire everything before hand. Meaning, that by meeting one person, who I may not be correct for, I may either learn something, or possible meet someone from that person, who is better with me. At least, I feel that is what you attempted to say. However, if that is the case, I would not call said person a soulmate, rather than a catylist.
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby sewcute » Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:47:31

madd74 wrote:I believe that God brings two people together to meet, in that every human I know to this day or who I have come across I was destined to do so. How things went from the first meeting, I feel God left up to us, and part of my claim to this is that God gave humans free will.

yes but I am talking about marriage, yes God does bring many people to meet and help us out in one way or another, whether they are in our lives for a moment or our lifetime.

Marriage is something sacred that God has created. . .a union of two people, for a lifetime.
sewcute
Dreamer of old Ranks

Postby madd74 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:23:44

er, okay, you are stating that fact as if debating it against a belief I do not have... something I do not seeme doing thus I am confused
madd74
Master of Maddness

Next

Return to Black Box