Philanthropy... discuss amongst yourselves

When the mind comes in contact with in and outside world, interesting things can happen. This forum is for the talk of everything philisophical and psychological. Pyschology and philosophy (PaP) have run my life for a long time, and if ever you want to get Madd's attention, anything of PaP nature will do just that.

Postby madd74 » Tue Sep 30, 2003 23:00:39

If you find something different let me know, since Gretl pegged every idea I could have possible said in response.
I will have something here... at some point...
madd74
Master of Maddness

Xbox Live: madd74
wii: 3171-6085-4693-8857
Playstation ID: madd74

Postby sewcute » Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:16:37

missionaries
sewcute
Dreamer of old Ranks

Postby Gretl » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:00:47

Oh, come now, can't you give me something harder?

Missionaries act out of self-interest in the sense that they are working towards their own heavenly reward, and/or spreading what they feel is the "true" religion, so others can think and feel as they do, and "meet God."

I use the quotes because some missionaries spread some real bullshit.

Ultimately it makes them feel good to do what they feel God wants them to do.
Gretl
Spamster

Postby madd74 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:24:33

I definitly agree with Gretl... Missionaries are spreading the world of that they love, and wish to convert as many as possible.
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby sewcute » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:14:07

Gretl wrote:Oh, come now, can't you give me something harder?

Missionaries act out of self-interest in the sense that they are working towards their own heavenly reward, and/or spreading what they feel is the "true" religion, so others can think and feel as they do, and "meet God."

I use the quotes because some missionaries spread some real bullshit.

Ultimately it makes them feel good to do what they feel God wants them to do.

They do not do it out of self-interest, they do it out of love of God, and they are not doing it for a heavenly reward, because one could not go out and be a missionary and still get to heaven, and have a heavenly reward.

I feel the missionaries do what they do because they want more people to know about God, and to have the joy that they have. They do it to worship God, not to make themselves feel better. It might make them feel good, but they don't do it to feel good, because if they did, well they would choose something else, because (yes I do not know all about being a missionary, but I do know some) but they are presecuted for what they do, it is NOT easy work for them.
sewcute
Dreamer of old Ranks

Postby madd74 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 14:35:00

Melissa wrote:It might make them feel good, but they don't do it to feel good

Subconsciously, this alone is all I would hae to comment to. It makes them feel good. It could make them feel good to know others are possibly believing in God. No missionary has to think it is a heavenly reward. Any good or warm feeling at all automatically pegs the missionary as "self-interest". What if doing the same thing gave them a bad and nasty feeling downside? Just telling others, not the actual feelings towards God.
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby cmplxty7 » Wed May 24, 2006 16:38:25

sorry to re-open this old of a thread, but I wanted to comment...

This is one of the first things I actually remember learning in my high school psych class, and I've believed it from that day on. It was quite disheartening to my faith in the general good of people at the time.

Even the missionaries. Even if they aren't doing it specifically to make themselves feel good or specifically to please God, they are doing something they think is right to do - and that, in turn, makes them feel good.

I actually wish I had never learned that, because as I get older and more cynical (yes, Mr Madd, I admit to cynicism), whenever I see or hear of someone doing something good/nice/thoughtful/right/whatever one of the first things I think is "what aspect of what they are doing is for them"? (I know I'm not a 100% cynic yet because it's not the FIRST thing I think :p)
cmplxty7
Jon Stewart's Love Interest

Postby madd74 » Wed May 24, 2006 19:18:37

Well, just remember in that thinking, that includes your self. While I understand the reason this could bum some people out, I still like to point out the two types of selfishness:

-the one that actual benefits other people (giving to charity, being kind to others, etc)
-the one that does not benefit others (stealing, taking advantage of, etc)

there are those who excel at the first one. so, it is not a total loss!
madd74
Master of Maddness

Previous

Return to Black Box