Dejavu how far can it go?

When the mind comes in contact with in and outside world, interesting things can happen. This forum is for the talk of everything philisophical and psychological. Pyschology and philosophy (PaP) have run my life for a long time, and if ever you want to get Madd's attention, anything of PaP nature will do just that.

Dejavu how far can it go?

Postby gizmo0681 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 15:29:14

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary wrote: d??j? vu
1 a : the illusion of remembering scenes and events when experienced for the first time b : a feeling that one has seen or heard something before
2 : something overly or unpleasantly familiar

I understand the philosophy of dejavu however could we take this even further and end up with the possibilities of more than just dejavu by taking it further with trejavu so on and so forth. What if you have so many rememberances of things that have happened and could you take them clear back to before your time before you were even born. Perhaps if one experience kept leading you further and further back in time? What if a experience of dejavu you have is so extreme and gruesome or something along those lines could you have a heart attack and or die from a vision or illusion such as this due to a powerful surge in your mind?

I don't know even to me this sounds a bit far fetched but it has me wondering how far things can go....
gizmo0681
Beer Taster

Postby sewcute » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:45:31

first off. . .I am sure this is going to sound bitchy, but d?j? vu, two words.

second, let me tell you what it means in French, well because that is what it is, and the definition there works, but you have to go back to its origins to really understand it.

d?j? means already and vu is the past participle or voir (to see), so literally translated it means already seen. so you couldnt have trejavu, because well, d?j? vu doesnt mean seen twice, it just means that you have seen it before. so you would have seen it multiple times before.
sewcute
Dreamer of old Ranks

Postby Gretl » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:13:17

I am not sure if the concept of deja vu is applicable in your extreme scenario... I think that generally the feeling of deja vu is a very vague one, an unease, a feeling of having seen this or felt this or said this before.

So in order for someone to have that extreme of a deja vu-ish reaction, one must be IN the situation that brings on deja vu. So the gruesome, horrible thing happening would be the thing that caused the heart attack, I would think, not the deja vu.

On the other hand there are flashbacks... flashbacks are far more vivid than deja vu, and flashbacks I believe CAN cause heart attacks and the like. I think flashbacks are closer to what you're talking about there, and I think it's entirely possible that could happen.

Ever seen the movie "Altered States?" Primal memory... I can't remember the actual term for it, but I really ought to find that movie and watch it again (it's been YEARS). VERY interesting shit.
Gretl
Spamster

Postby gizmo0681 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 14:14:48

No you didn't sound bitchy.... First off it was something that was just on my mind... and I wanted other peoples input on their thoughts and knowledge.... so therefore no one is bitchy and or wrong in things that are said about the topic....
gizmo0681
Beer Taster

Postby sewcute » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:22:05

ok I am glad, I get very defensive of the french language, hehe, my humanities prof, who I am friends with, EVERY TIME he would pronounce a french word he would do it wrong, and he could hear me sigh every time. . .

but I have had d?j? vu numerous times. . .just something will happen and I will have a rememberence, and be like, whoa been here done that. . .

it has never been to the extent of causing me pain/panic attack type emotions tho. Generally just oh I have done this before. ..
sewcute
Dreamer of old Ranks

Postby madd74 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:15:21

sewcute wrote:first off. . .I am sure this is going to sound bitchy, but d?j? vu, two words.

second, let me tell you what it means in French, well because that is what it is, and the definition there works, but you have to go back to its origins to really understand it.

d?j? means already and vu is the past participle or voir (to see), so literally translated it means already seen. so you couldnt have trejavu, because well, d?j? vu doesnt mean seen twice, it just means that you have seen it before. so you would have seen it multiple times before.

first off, if you see his copy of the quote you notice it is shown in two words... note also that "R U there?" is horribly incorrect however the net masses do it anyway

second off, while it may come from a french background, realize it is westernized. that is the art of taking things from other cultures and making it into american. I would also like to point out that "ca me plaite" has a direct translation of "it pleases me" even though that is not how the french mean it. wow, crap, I forgot what it was suppor to mean, something like "I like it". I remember watching that 30 minute video where all they said thru the whole things was "ca me plaite" and "ca ne me plaites pas"

even from the american meaning you can get multiple copies... gizmo was making a post in reference to a real life conversation we made, so it was an inside joke you attempted to pick apart, hehehe
I will have something here... at some point...
madd74
Master of Maddness

Xbox Live: madd74
wii: 3171-6085-4693-8857
Playstation ID: madd74

Postby madd74 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:18:49

the dying of the mind... hehehe... okay, this is where I step in and state that a human being can mentally kill themself off without any actual "physical" causes, meaning that the doctor examines the body and finds no known reason for death. while it is rare, it is a case of 5th Dimentional thinking (as I call it, since it is called many things by many people)

it is more seen in cases where healthy people actually think themselves sick to the point of becoming sick

the mind is a powerful thing
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby nyquildreamer » Wed Dec 29, 2004 23:59:17

Interesting fact there.

I've experienced d?j? vu a number of times. I usually get sort of nervous or excited about it, but I've rarely felt much panic. Now, there have been a few occurances where I sort of freaked out, but I seemed to "remember" quite a bit more than usual. Also, these happened during times of stress and once while I had a bout of insomnia. I'm sure these were contributing factors.

As for past life d?j? vu shtoof... I don't know. It does sound far fetched, but I guess there's no way to really disprove it. A cool idea any way you look at it. Another thing to think about may be things linked to your own past. Memories you didn't know were still in your head resurfacing at seemingly random points in time, giving you a strange awareness of something "not quite right" which may be mistaken for d?j? vu. But hell, I don't freakin' know!
nyquildreamer
Random Violence

Postby madd74 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 13:36:27

and what reason are you "freaking" out when this happens?
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby nyquildreamer » Fri Dec 31, 2004 0:06:49

I don't think I fully understand how your sentence just worked there... but... What I meant by freaking out was in those few scenarios where things were just too strange to handle, I either walked or ran away and sat/lay down for a while. I think that's what you were asking. I don't know English too good.
nyquildreamer
Random Violence

Postby madd74 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 23:28:06

You do not know English well? Were you not a US native?

My statement was simply asking what makes you freak out. What is the reason. For example, you have deja-vu, and you freak out, what for?
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby nyquildreamer » Thu Jan 06, 2005 21:40:58

Oh! I'm tracking with you now.

I get a bit scared because things happen word-for-word how I "remembered" them happening. There was even one time when I "remembered" part of a movie I'd never watched before.

I use the quotes because I never think of these things until they are happening. It often seems like I'm remembering at the same rate as things occur. So it's really hard to tell.

I'm US born. In Iowa. Eh?
nyquildreamer
Random Violence

Postby madd74 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:52:29

So am I (iowa boy)

So you get scared because things are happening that you do not ever remember experiencing. What do you think makes this happen? Example: you watch a movie and remember a bunch of parts you had not ever seen, and it is the first time you saw the movie. How do you think that happens?
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby nyquildreamer » Wed Jan 12, 2005 0:03:41

Well, see that's what I don't know. I don't get it.
Maybe I'm just paranoid.
nyquildreamer
Random Violence

Postby madd74 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 0:17:27

i do not think you are just paranoid, i simply think you are not putting your all into thinking about the issue. my opinion
madd74
Master of Maddness

Next

Return to Black Box