Prepared removal of subdomains

Any problems with any Maddian services (http://madd74.com, JOHD, etc) are to be directed here. If you notice something is not working the way it is meant to, or if you run across a broken link on any part of my site, make sure to post here please so I can fix it!

Prepared removal of subdomains

Postby madd74 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 17:58:15

Due to technical issues with many different things, please note that at some point soon all subdomains are going to be removed. Almost all subdomains point to something that can be accessed by adding it at the end of the URL.

EXAMPLE:

support.madd74.com == madd74.com/support/
chat.madd74.com == madd74.com/chat/
media.madd74.com == madd74.com/media/

To prevent errors from subdomain access, when the move is complete, it should end up point back to madd74.com, meaning if you attempt suppor., chat., etc, that it will simply direct you to madd74.com

The floaty menu bar thing (haha, that kills me) is going to be able to get people to where they want to go with in the first place, so the "ease of use" of subdomains will not be required. About the only advantage that the subdomains ever really had was with browers history. Typing "chat." in your web address would show "chat.madd74.com" (assuming that you turn that service on with your browser, and that your browers supports it in the first place, something all modern ones do).

I imagine this change is not going to affect anyone, and I am most likely chatting way more than I have to, however, being a web admin, I feel compelled to take something simple and explain it 5 times more than need be :mrgreen:

I currently do not have a scheduled date for the conversion. I will post when it is done, as it should be quick.
I will have something here... at some point...
madd74
Master of Maddness

Xbox Live: madd74
wii: 3171-6085-4693-8857
Playstation ID: madd74

Re: Prepared removal of subdomains

Postby ditzwill » Fri Dec 28, 2007 21:47:55

Huh? So is the entire menu system going to change or is this just internal stuff we won't notice? Or will the menu system just be the Floaty Bar (I still win every time)
Everyone should be a non-conformist.
:eating:
ditzwill
Keyboard Smasher

Re: Prepared removal of subdomains

Postby madd74 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 23:26:12

It is not actually related to the menu. if you follow the address support.madd74.com in your address bar, you would get the support forum. You get the same thing if you put in http://madd74.com/support/. The first way is known as a subdomain, and many sites use them for "easy access" to things, such as docs.google.com or movie.yahoo.com.

So I had used them, but there had been times when it caused problems with certain things, and a while back I posted that I was using them, so it is difficult to say what humans out there stalking the site have them bookmarked.

I hope this answered your question.
I will have something here... at some point...
madd74
Master of Maddness

Xbox Live: madd74
wii: 3171-6085-4693-8857
Playstation ID: madd74

Return to General