creepy? cool? much ado about nothing? What do you think?

Welcome to the world of news, told by many, told about everything. Here is where new and strange information can be posted, or just life changing events for planet Earth.

creepy? cool? much ado about nothing? What do you think?

Postby cmplxty7 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 18:36:05

You'll have to click the link for the picture, the text is copied below

Mystery Of Red Planet Picture
Updated:08:46, Wednesday January 23, 2008

It's the picture that ET believers have been waiting for - and the one that shows there could be life on Mars.
The image, taken by Nasa's Mars Explorer Spirit, seems to show a figure on the surface of the red planet.

However the more sceptical have decided that it is just a rock.

At first astronomers were disappointed with pictures sent back from the surface of the Red Planet by the six-wheel robot four years ago.

But a space fan spotted the figure, which was just a pinprick in the original photograph. It was blown up and posted on a website.

One stargazer writes on the site: "My first thought - it's Big Foot! If you show me another rock in another photo from Mars or Earth that naturally looks like that, I will reconsider."

Another said: "I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked and saw what appears to be a naked alien running around on Mars."

Experts say that if the planet once had surface water, there was the potential to support life.

Analysis of soil showed it contained 90% silica - a concentration only likely to have formed when water is present.

But as to whether there are likely to be aliens moving around, opinion is clearly divided.
cmplxty7
Jon Stewart's Love Interest

Re: creepy? cool? much ado about nothing? What do you think?

Postby cmplxty7 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 18:45:12

I honestly do not know what I think. I certainly do not believe we are the only living planet in the infinity of space, or that God would make us and only us. On the other hand, I do not believe in little green men, or any version of an alien that Hollywood has created. I have always been torn on the subject, and may always be until I see something that I am convinced is a UFO.

So with that, I find the picture more creepy than anything, as it is eerie to think of other beings that we do not know about in such close viscinity. I wish there was a size reference - how big is that figure? I know the picture was blown up, and that was just a speck in the original image, but how big is it really?!
cmplxty7

Postby sewcute » Thu Jan 24, 2008 19:06:48

I don't think it looks like a person.

of course who is to say that an alien looks human like?
sewcute
Dreamer of old Ranks

Postby cmplxty7 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 19:26:12

Here is a link to the full resolution picture

You can see parts of the Rover in the pic. If you blow the picture up, the figure is on the left, toward the bottom.

And here is a site showing how big the rovers are.

So now I am thinking that is a prety itty, bitty, figure...of course, I do not have any way of knowing how far away it was from the rover, which would have an effect on the size appearance. I am skeptical.
cmplxty7

Postby madd74 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 16:06:04

I think it is just a rock. There are a lot of reasons to not feel it anything made by a living organism, of which have nothing to do with "aliens don't exist". First off, looking at the rest of the picture, there is nothing else around but that one thing. What living form is going to make one statue (for those out there thinking it is statue). As for a living thing, while at once there was possibly water, due to the current thin atmosphere, Mars cannot sustain water. Living organisms require water in order to survive. Anyone who would attempt to state how since this is not a human organism, and would argue this and that, should realize, carbon-based life forms require water, plain and simple. So no, it is not a naked E.T. flying through the desert of Mars. Also realize, the temp on Mars gets to about -220
I will have something here... at some point...
madd74
Master of Maddness

Xbox Live: madd74
wii: 3171-6085-4693-8857
Playstation ID: madd74

Postby ditzwill » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:23:10

madd74 wrote:I think it is just a rock. There are a lot of reasons to not feel it anything made by a living organism, of which have nothing to do with "aliens don't exist". First off, looking at the rest of the picture, there is nothing else around but that one thing. What living form is going to make one statue (for those out there thinking it is statue). As for a living thing, while at once there was possibly water, due to the current thin atmosphere, Mars cannot sustain water. Living organisms require water in order to survive. Anyone who would attempt to state how since this is not a human organism, and would argue this and that, should realize, carbon-based life forms require water, plain and simple. So no, it is not a naked E.T. flying through the desert of Mars. Also realize, the temp on Mars gets to about -220
Everyone should be a non-conformist.
:eating:
ditzwill
Keyboard Smasher

Postby madd74 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 17:28:36

well, it would explain why millions of humans are so interested in examining it :mrgreen:
I will have something here... at some point...
madd74
Master of Maddness

Xbox Live: madd74
wii: 3171-6085-4693-8857
Playstation ID: madd74

Return to Maddian Underground