Effect of the 2007 Writers Guild of America strike on TV

Buy a bag, go home in a box! Discuss any and everything about the movie world here, including movies you have seen, movies you like, future releases you hear, etc.
Forum rules
BE RESPECTFUL!! Some people like to be surprised in movies!! if you give out any sort of a spoiler to a movie/TV show, please use the [spoiler=] tag. Any questions, please ask before posting, thank you.

Effect of the 2007 Writers Guild of America strike on TV

Postby madd74 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 20:28:41

This list was a copy and paste effort. Unfortunately, it was originally made on a table, so it looks less impressive here :) Still, some will see the importance of this strike, as The Big Bang Theory :sigh:

"TV Show Status Network Show Episodes/scripts"

[ABC]
    According to Jim 7 episodes completed. Expected to premiere midseason.
    All My Children Scripts completed through January 2008.
    Big Shots 13 episodes have been completed.
    Boston Legal 15 episodes have been completed.
    Brothers & Sisters 12 episodes have been completed.
    Cashmere Mafia 7 episodes have been completed. Originally scheduled to begin November 27, the premiere has been delayed as a result of the strike.
    Cavemen 13 episodes have been completed.
    Carpoolers 13 episodes have been completed.
    Desperate Housewives 10 episodes have been completed, 9 of which have been shot.
    Dirty Sexy Money 11 episodes have been completed.
    Eli Stone All 13 episodes that were ordered have been completed.
    General Hospital Scripts completed through January 2008.
    Grey's Anatomy 11 episodes have been completed.
    Lost 8 scripts have been completed, will premiere in February.
    Men in Trees 19 episodes have been written (5 leftover from Season 1 and 14 from the current season).
    Miss/Guided Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.
    Notes From the Underbelly 5 episodes (from the first season) have been shot, it is unknown how many second season episodes have been completed.
    One Life to Live Scripts completed through January 2008.
    Private Practice 10-11 episodes have been completed.
    Pushing Daisies 9 episodes have been completed.
    Samantha Who? 12 episodes have been completed.
    Ugly Betty 13 episodes have been completed.
    The View Is currently continuing, with a statement by the network that "contingency plans have been made in the event of a strike."
    Women's Murder Club 10 episodes have been completed.
[ABC Family]
    Greek Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.
    Kyle XY Remainder of Season 2 completed before strike. New episodes begin airing January 14, 2008.
    Lincoln Heights Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.

[AMC]
    Mad Men Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.

[Cartoon Network]
    Out of Jimmy's Head Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.

[CBS]
    As the World Turns Scripts completed through January 2008.
    The Big Bang Theory 8 episodes have been completed. Production stopped. Final original episode till the conclusion of the strike be air was aired on November 12, 2007.
    Big Brother Could be moved from the summer to between January and March (sources vary) to replace other shows. CBS has stated that Big Brother "will be broadcast in 2008 on dates to be announced." It was speculated that the possible winter edition would have been a regular season or a Celebrity Big Brother season. But CBS has confirmed that the next edition will follow the same format as previous seasons. CBS has released details about casting calls being scheduled.
    The Bold and the Beautiful Scripts completed through January 2008.
    Cane All 13 episodes have been completed.
    Cold Case 12 episodes have been completed.
    Criminal Minds 12 episodes have been completed.
    CSI: Crime Scene Investigation 11 or 12 episodes have been completed.
    CSI: Miami 13 episodes have been completed.
    CSI: New York 14 episodes have been completed.
    Ghost Whisperer 9 episodes have been completed.
    Guiding Light Scripts completed through February 2008.
    How I Met Your Mother 11 episodes have been completed.
    Jericho All 7 episodes have been completed.
    The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson Immediate reruns began on November 5, 2007.
    Late Show With David Letterman Immediate reruns began on November 5, 2007. Striking writers for the Late Show are contributing material and videos to a weblog, lateshowwritersonstrike.com.
    Moonlight 11 episodes have been completed.
    NCIS 13 episodes have been completed.
    Numb3rs 12 episodes have been completed.
    The New Adventures of Old Christine 8 episodes are completed. Production stopped.
    Rules of Engagement 9 episodes have been completed. Production stopped.
    Shark 11 episodes have been completed.
    Two and a Half Men 11 episodes have been completed. Production stopped.
    Without a Trace 12 episodes out of 24 ordered episodes have been completed ; production stopped.[17]
    The Young and the Restless Scripts completed through January 2008.

[Comedy Central]
    The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Reruns began on November 5, 2007.
    The Colbert Report Reruns began on November 5, 2007.

[CW]
    Aliens in America 17 episodes will be completed. Still in production.
    Everybody Hates Chris All 22 episodes of season completed,[18] done with production for season.[19]
    Gossip Girl 13 episodes have been completed.
    Girlfriends 10 episodes will be completed. Still in production.
    The Game 10 episodes will be completed. Still in production.
    Life is Wild 12 episodes have been completed.
    One Tree Hill 12 episodes have been completed. Expected to premiere midseason.
    Reaper 13 episodes have been completed.
    Smallville 15 scripts written, studio expected to produce all.[20]
    Supernatural 10-12 episodes have been completed.

[Disney Channel]
    Cory in the House Writing halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.
    Hannah Montana Writing halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.
    Suite Life of Zack and Cody Writing halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.
    Wizards of Waverly Place Writing halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.

[FOX]
    24 Eight episodes of 24 will be completed;[21] premiere has been delayed until such a time that the Day 7 season can air continuously with no or few interruptions.
    American Dad All 22 episodes written. .
    Back to You 9 episodes have been completed; production stopped. The show is currently on hiatus, but will return on March 12, 2008,[22] with two original episodes on March 12 and March 19 then repeat episodes.
    Bones 12 episodes have been completed. Will begin airing repeats January 4th, 2008, when it also moves to Friday.[23]
    Canterbury's Law Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written. Scheduled to premiere April 11, 2008.
    Family Guy Show creator and voice actor Seth MacFarlane said the November 11th episode (Lois Kills Stewie) was the last episode produced under his watch and there are no more new episodes ready.[24] Fox says they will complete the last three episodes written, voiced and animated without MacFarlane's final approval to air during the remainder of November, which he termed "a colossal dick move" in an interview with Variety.[25]
    House 12 episodes have been completed.
    K-Ville 10 episodes have been completed. Production shut down and not present on Fox's spring schedule.[26]
    King of the Hill 21 of 22 episodes are written. .
    New Amsterdam All 7 episodes have been completed. Scheduled to premiere February 22, 2008.
    Prison Break 13 episodes have been completed. New episodes begin airing on January 14, 2008, and the season finale is likely to be in February.[27] The status of the upcoming spin-off, Prison Break: Cherry Hill, is unknown.
    The Return of Jezebel James All 7 episodes have been completed. Scheduled to premiere March 7, 2008.
    The Simpsons 22 of this season's 23 episodes will be completed.[28]
    Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles 9 episodes have been shot. Scheduled to premiere January 13, 2008.
    'Til Death 12 episodes have been completed. Production stopped. The show will go on hiatus on November 28, but will return on March 7, 2008.[29] airing encore episodes.

[FX]
    Damages No episodes have been written due to the fact that the show was renewed the day after the strike began.
    Dirt 13 episodes have been ordered, unknown how many have been written.
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia The show has not yet been renewed for a fourth season. Not yet affected.
    Nip/Tuck 14 of the 22 episodes have been written which means the last 8 episodes will be affected.
    Rescue Me No episodes have been written due to the fact that the show was renewed the day after the strike began.
    The Riches 13 episodes have been ordered, unknown how many have been written.
    The Shield All 13 episodes of season seven will be completed.[30]
[HBO]
    Big Love Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.
    Curb Your Enthusiasm Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.
    Real Time with Bill Maher Reruns began on November 9, 2007.[31]
    Tell Me You Love Me Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.
    The Wire All 10 episodes have been completed.[32]
    True Blood Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.

[Lifetime]
    Army Wives Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.
    Blood Ties Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.
    Cheerleader Nation Status is currently unknown.
    Side Order of Life Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.
    State of Mind Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.

[NBC]
    30 Rock 9 episodes have been completed. The 10th is being filmed. though it may be off schedule due to main writer and star Tina Fey balancing the strike action with production of the program. [33]
    Bionic Woman 9 episodes have been completed.
    Chuck 13 episodes have been completed.
    Days of our Lives Scripts completed through January 2008.
    ER At least 9 episodes have been completed.
    Friday Night Lights 15 episodes will be completed.[18]
    Heroes At least 11 episodes will be completed. It is yet unknown whether or not more than 11 episodes will be completed.[34]
    Heroes: Origins Production postponed.[35]
    Journeyman 13 episodes have been completed.
    Las Vegas 19 episodes have been completed.
    Late Night With Conan O'Brien Immediate reruns began on November 5, 2007.
    Law & Order Originally to return January 2008[36], but production postponed.[37]
    Law & Order: Special Victims Unit 14 episodes have been completed.
    Life 11 episodes have been completed.
    Lipstick Jungle Unknown at this time as series is scheduled for midseason.
    Medium 9 episodes have been completed.
    My Name is Earl 13 episodes have been completed.
    The Office Production stopped, last new episode aired November 15, 2007.[38] One unproduced script.[39]
    Poker After Dark Still in production and airing original episodes, unaffected. [40]
    Scrubs 12 out of 18 episodes have been completed. Series finale episode could possibly not be produced or broadcast; were this to happen, series creator Bill Lawrence will try to release a straight-to-DVD final episode.
    Saturday Night Live Immediate reruns began November 10, 2007.
    The Tonight Show With Jay Leno Immediate reruns began on November 5, 2007. There were rumors that new episodes could return with guest hosts on November 19, 2007,[43] but this did not happen. NBC announced they would rerun "classic Leno" with appearances by famous actors like Tom Hanks going back as far as 1992, when Leno first took over.

[Nickelodeon]
    Just Jordan Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.

[Sci Fi]
    Battlestar Galactica 13 out of 20 episodes have been completed. Only the front half (first ten) were planned to be aired in Spring 2008 season with an indefinite time (now more so) for the back half. [44].[45]
    Eureka Will be affected.[46]
    Flash Gordon Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.
    Stargate Atlantis Season 4 filmed, and in post production. Writers are members of the Writers Guild of Canada. It is possible that the broadcast schedule will be affected due to the broader effects of the strike.[47]

[Showtime]
    Dexter All episodes of Season 2 were produced in preparation for the strike.[48]

[TBS]
    10 Items or Less 8 episodes are to be produced, unknown how many are written.
    The Bill Engvall Show 10 episodes are to be produced, unknown how many are written.
    Frank TV There will only be 5 episodes produced instead of 8.[49]
    My Boys 8 episodes are to be produced, unknown how many are written.

[The N]
    South of Nowhere Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.

[TNT]
    The Closer Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.

[USA]
    Burn Notice Writing Halted. Unknown how many episodes have been written.
    Law & Order: Criminal Intent 10 of 22 episodes completed.
    Monk All 16 episodes of the current season will be produced.
    Psych All 16 episodes of the current season will be produced.
I will have something here... at some point...
madd74
Master of Maddness

Xbox Live: madd74
wii: 3171-6085-4693-8857
Playstation ID: madd74

Re: Effect of the 2007 Writers Guild of America strike on TV

Postby sewcute » Mon Nov 26, 2007 20:44:25

thanks for posting this!! good to know!
sewcute
Dreamer of old Ranks

Postby madd74 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 20:51:21

Sure thing! I bet you are happy to see that Monk will most likely not be affected :)
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby cmplxty7 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 21:21:45

SUCK! Every show I watch now, have watched, or looked forward to watching in the near future, is affected!

Looks like after a couple of weeks it is going to be movie channels or educational channels only until this is over. Oh well - with no new episodes of the shows I like, I will get through my books faster :)
cmplxty7
Jon Stewart's Love Interest

Postby madd74 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 22:32:22

Yeah, with no new shows to slow me down, my video game systems will have healthy play time :mrgreen: Good thing we have DVD... can finish watching the House Season Two episodes, since he is on the list, and new episodes will run out before the strike is over.
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby cmplxty7 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:22:59

yup. And since they'll be playing reruns we can buy season 3 and watch those after the first of the year if we want. And there are other shows we can buy and watch on DVD that we've not had a chance to watch - like I know you would like to watch My Name Is Earl - stuff like that will be good options for us, too.
cmplxty7

Postby sewcute » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:58:41

madd74 wrote:Sure thing! I bet you are happy to see that Monk will most likely not be affected :)

and psych and house.

although that's just for this season!
sewcute
Dreamer of old Ranks

Postby madd74 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 15:56:40

cmplxty7 wrote:yup. And since they'll be playing reruns we can buy season 3 and watch those after the first of the year if we want. And there are other shows we can buy and watch on DVD that we've not had a chance to watch - like I know you would like to watch My Name Is Earl - stuff like that will be good options for us, too.
Mmm... My Name is Earl... aye. This strike may end up hurting the writers and actors more than anyone. The customers can go and get DVD box sets and watch and catch up with things, and this is just going to pave the way for the networks to rely on reality shows... and that will be the end of TV as we know it.

sewcute wrote:
madd74 wrote:Sure thing! I bet you are happy to see that Monk will most likely not be affected :)

and psych and house.

Well, as this list shows, House did not complete their season... and that means, most likely, we will not get the season final
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby Mair » Tue Nov 27, 2007 16:06:30

This was interesting to see. Thanks!
Mair
Smut Killer

Postby madd74 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 16:25:30

You aer welcome, it is my pleasure. I thought it was cool when I ran across the list, just to see how much this strike really is working on our TV programs.
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby sewcute » Tue Nov 27, 2007 19:54:14

sewcute wrote:

and psych and house.

madd74 wrote:Well, as this list shows, House did not complete their season... and that means, most likely, we will not get the season final
Last edited by madd74 on Tue Nov 27, 2007 21:16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote tag
sewcute
Dreamer of old Ranks

Postby madd74 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 21:18:49

The nice thing about most season final
madd74
Master of Maddness

Postby cmplxty7 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 22:01:18

well, we were wrong in thinking that just because they have filmed a certain amount of episodes they would show them straight through. Both Bones and House tonight showed previews for upcoming new episodes after the new year - ugh! So I am sure the rest of the shows I watch will follow suit, making this week the last week for new episodes for pretty much everything I watch.

oh well - it will be boring tv this winter...when we are most couped up in the house. Lots of books waiting to be read, though!
cmplxty7

Return to PopCorn