MLB have no plans to celebrate Bonds record

The dugout is the place to go for those who have a sport they would like to talk about or a team they would like to "promote" or speak of.

MLB have no plans to celebrate Bonds record

Postby madd74 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 15:05:15

Reuters
Geoff Davidian wrote:MILWAUKEE (Reuters) - Major League Baseball has no plans to celebrate the moment San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds breaks Hank Aaron's all-time home run record, according to commissioner Bud Selig.

Bonds, whose achievements have been clouded by allegations of steroid use, was hitless against the Brewers on Friday and remains two home runs short of the 755 career home-run record set by Aaron against in Milwaukee three decades ago.

Booed by the crowd, Bonds walked once, popped up, grounded out and struck out in his last at bat watched by commissioner Selig at the first of a three-game series over the weekend.

Asked if the league has plans to commemorate the occasion of Bond breaking the record, Selig said there were none.

"That's up to San Francisco," he told reporters.

Bonds celebrates his 43rd birthday on Tuesday, with the Giants home for a series against the Atlanta Braves starting on Monday.

The Giants player remains under investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice over possible perjury to a grand jury when he testified he never knowingly used steroids.

Selig said he spoke with record holder Aaron "very recently", but had not had a conversation with Bonds for a long time.

Asked whether the investigation limited his ability to talk to Bonds, Selig said: "I can do anything I want."

Yeah, he sure can, can't he, making $$$ from insane ticket sales.
I will have something here... at some point...
madd74
Master of Maddness

Xbox Live: madd74
wii: 3171-6085-4693-8857
Playstation ID: madd74

Postby cmplxty7 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 18:02:53

I was watching a thing on TV - maybe just during the sports section of a newscast... but they were talking about how it is not just Bonds/Selig. They said that baseball commissioners have always distanced themselves from record-breaking players and momentous occasions for them. They gave Ruth and Arron as examples (and do not ask me to recall the names of the past commissioners, because I have no idea). I am not sure how I feel about this because I do not actually know/understand the role of the commissioner. If you could explain that to me I could give you my opinion on the matter.

Also, I am sorry to tell you that Cubs lost 3-2 to AZ today :(
cmplxty7
Jon Stewart's Love Interest

Return to Dugout